Tuesday 28 August 2012

Mini Review: Origin by Jessica Khoury

Rating: 5/5 jaguar heads
Release date: 4 September 2012
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Goodreads | Amazon UK | The Book Depository

Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia’s origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost. This is a supremely compelling debut novel that blends the awakening romance of Matched with the mystery and jungle conspiracy of Lost.





The two books I read before this were thrilling YA romances - entertaining, but quickly forgotten - and I was sort of expecting more of the same. Origin completely exceeded my expectations, and I was surprised by the level of depth it achieved - at least for me. 

Origin deals with some pretty heavy themes, and because of this I think it'll be a love/hate kind of book. Some will find the approach heavy-handed or uncomfortable in its depiction of the 'natives' and scientists, but it worked for me (or I at least was able to forgive this) because I really connected with Pia on an emotional level. Some of the religious/spiritual issues explored are ones I've dealt with a lot growing up, and I've been wanting to read a book like this for a while. For me, at least, it was very thought-provoking and amazingly relevant to my life, and books like these are exactly why I love YA no matter how controversial: it's amazing to be able to read a book that captures, explores, and makes entertaining the challenges and angst of growing up.

Was this book perfect? Of course not, and many other reviewers have already pointed out some of its flaws. But as Khoury addresses in Origin, both in the book's opening line and repeatedly throughout, perfect is in the eye of the beholder, and Origin, at this point in my life, was absolutely perfect for me. I loved it, and unlike some of the other YA books I've read recently, I found myself still thinking about it a day later.





Check out the Origin book trailer:



Side note: This is not the most informative review, but these were my thoughts immediately after reading Origin last month and I didn't feel the need to expand! Also, I'm aware that postings/general blog interactions have been scarce for the past few weeks, so apologies for that, but I should be back on track starting next week. Happy reading!

18 comments:

  1. Books that stay with you though the read is over are great finds. I've been eyeing this book for a while now and I'm so glad you liked it! It must be good.

    Nice review, Lauren :D Excited to see more of you next week :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are definitely the best kind! Thanks Gellie! I've kind of failed this week but traveling ends tomorrow so looking forward to getting back into the routine!

      Delete
  2. This book actually sounds like it could be very interesting to read. I also enjoy a book that stays with you after you've read it, I haven't had many of them this summer really.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I did! And I agree. Wonder what the next book that stays with me will be. :) Thanks for all the comment love, Jenn!

      Delete
  3. After reading your "mini" review, I want to read Origin more than ever! You really gave us an emotional review, something I know I usually don't do in my reviews. Thanks Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tammy! I don't usually do emotional reviews either, so I'm glad it stuck with you. :)

      Delete
  4. After reading your "mini" review, I want to read Origin more than ever! You really gave us an emotional review, something I know I usually don't do in my reviews. Thanks Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Different types of reviews are good! I do mini reviews sometimes, or lists, just whatever strikes my mood. I'm so excited to read this. I lucked out and the teen librarian where I work got an ARC, so she's letting me borrow it.

    I understand being behind, too. I've sort of taken a few day vacation from working on anything for my blog...got to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I really should branch out more. Really looking forward to seeing what you think of it, Leeanna. I hope you like it as much as I did! And yes, it's so hard to stay on top of things when you're on vacation! I've been traveling so much lately. Not that I'm complaining. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad this one surpassed your expectations! I've seen before that it seems to be a love/hate kind of book, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's great that you were able to connect with Pia and the book overall with its relevancy (is that even a word? Lol). Beautiful review, L! :)

    PS - just a question...do you change the animal heads with each review? 'Cause this is like the third animal I've seen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that I connected with it so much, actually! I thought it was just going to be a fun adventure story. I hope you connect with it too, but I can totally understand if you don't. It was relevant to me in a very specific way.

      And YES, I do! Hahaha glad you noticed, actually. I change it based on what I feel reflects the book the most, haha. It's nothing serious.

      Delete
  7. Oh this sounds interesting! I hadn't heard of it prior to your review but I'll be adding it to my tbr :) Thanks for sharing!

    PS - Glad you have returned :) I was hoping you hadn't disappeared[from the blog world] !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad you added it Lauren! And haha I know, I'm sorry! Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I prob should have put up a mini-hiatus post or something, that was my bad.

      Delete
  8. I have been waiting and waiting to read Origin. I guess the pain is dulled a teeny bit by reading the mini-review!! :)
    Great post!

    Aditi from http://highlyreadioactive.blogspot.in
    Your new follower :)
    (I came directly from Reading under the stars!) Love the way you guys write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! Reading under the stars is a great blog and Aa'Ishah writes amazing reviews so I'm really flattered by the comparison! Will check yours out asap; thanks for the follow. :)

      Delete
  9. First I will confess that I came to your blog because I was intrigued by the name (so great job name picking!) and i love owls. And I'm glad I did visit your blog! Love this review and I want to read Origin so badly! And the trailer! Amazing!

    New GFC and Twitter follower! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like my name! So good to hear somebody's intrigued by it, haha. Thanks for reading and following, Courtney! Going to check yours out now. :)

      Delete
  10. Ever since i saw the fantastic trailer, i've been dying to pick this book up!
    great mini review, I hope i am part of the people who love this book :D

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting other bloggers and readers, so let me know what you think! I try to always reply to comments, either directly or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...